As a board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Gerber has met the highly selected criteria for certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and is uniquely qualified to perform cosmetic and reconstructive surgery on the face and all areas of the body. To become a board-certified plastic surgeon, she completed a three-year residency in general surgery, and an additional three years of training specifically in plastic and reconstructive surgery. Then, a comprehensive and rigid set of examinations, both written and oral, needed to be passed before becoming board certified.
After attaining board certification in 1984, Dr. Gerber was accepted by her peers into two prestigious societies in which she plays an active role-ASPS (The American Society of Plastic Surgeons) and ASAPS (The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery). To maintain membership in these societies, members must adhere to a strict code of ethics and participate in continuing education.
Vassar College: BA 1973
Columbia University, College of Physicians & Surgeons, MD 1977
Northwestern University, Residency in General Surgery: 1977-1980
Northwestern University, Residency in Plastic Surgery: 1980-1983
Board Certification: American Board of Plastic Surgery: 1984
Awards and Recognition
Named by Town & Country magazine as one of the Top Cosmetic Surgeons in the United States. Town & Country magazine interviewed more than 2000 surgeons nationwide and asked them for peer recommendations, surveyed media sources and acquired membership information from professional associations and teaching hospital faculty lists.
Named by Chicago Magazine as one of the area's "Top Doctors"
Chicago magazine interviewed physicians in all fields, nurses and former patients.
American Society of Plastic Surgeons; American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery; American Medical Association; American College of Surgeons; Illinois State Medical Society; Chicago Medical Society; Chicago Society of Plastic Surgery; American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities, Inc.
American Society of Plastic Surgeons
Chairman, Young Plastic Surgeons Committee
Auditor, Board of Directors
Assistant Faculty, Risk Management Course
Member: Public Education, Risk Management, Marketing, and Women's Caucus
American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
Public Education Committee
American College of Surgeons
Y-Me Breast Cancer Support Group
Medical Advisory Board
Chairman, Medical Referral Committee
Medical Executive and Advocacy Committees
American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities, Inc.
- Northwestern University Medical Center; Plastic Surgery Grand Rounds. Facial Rejuvenation
- National Plastic Surgery Conference and Lectures: Committee Chairman
- American Association of Plastic Surgeons: Midwest Clinical Conference/expert panel on facial surgery
- Rush-Presbyterian/St. Luke's: Workshop/Plastic Surgery
- St. James Hospital: Community lectures on plastic surgery, registered nurses and physician conferences for continuing medical education
- Jewish Community Conference: Women's Health Forum
- Y-Me Breast Cancer Support Group: Lectures and workshops/breast reconstruction
- Latin School of Chicago: Adult education courses on facial rejuvenation, aesthetic plastic surgery and newest techniques in plastic surgery
- Discovery Center Course: Consumer's Guide to Plastic Surgery
- Hadassah: New trends in facial rejuvenation